As Lead Design Educator and Trainer, you will:
Pursue design excellence through teaching and critiquing:
- Create, facilitate, present and deliver our graphic design basics and soft skills course to students: you’ll be the face of our Canva Foundation Education to Employment program in Manila, delivering content and empowering our students through learning
- Create instructional and practical design briefs based on the core graphic design basics course that can be used to assess if students are achieving the desired learning outcomes
- Assist with development of operational program aspects on-the-ground (i.e. living stipends and data allowances for students, mentor pairing etc)
- Assist with scheduling all course content and delivery timetables, including seeking out Canva speakers and other creative speakers within our community as “guest lecturers” for the course
- Set up the space for students to optimise in-person learning and manage all course related events
- Support and empower the students in our program by providing support (technical, learning related, soft skills related etc) and assist students with any troubleshooting issues
Make complex things simple:
- The ability to simplify broad and complex topics into bite size learning modules that achieve the desired learning outcomes is essential for this role.
- Analyse and test new learning methods and processes to result in the most effective and efficient learning outcomes models (constantly thinking about how we can scale this course as seamlessly as possible).
Empower your team:
- Take the lead on delivering the pilot course, and then scaling, the graphic design course
- Mentor other team members to excel in their craft. Understand how to unlock the potential of others using the best tools and techniques
- Nurture a collaborative, trusting environment amongst your team and your learners and foster cooperation with other groups
Empower our students:
- Help our students to gain the skills they need through education to earn a living wage in a digital design job
- Successfully launch and teach our pilot course, and then work with us to scale this
- Constantly iterate on your delivery and teaching methods to ensure this suits every learning style and leads to the desired outcomes
- Problem solve in the “classroom” on the fly, with an ability to adapt and break down complex concepts or topics into bite sized modules
- Use Design Principles and project briefs in your “classroom” to critique students objectively and give constructive feedback to empower learners to pursue excellence
- Innovate in new ways to teach young people with no design background how to design
- Do the best work of your life!
While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes – ya gotta have hustle!
Qualities we’re looking for…
- Education minded designer and teacher
- Natural teacher, with strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to convert knowledge and learning outcomes into instructional and practical design briefs
- Strong design networks and connections in the Filipino ecosystem
- Experience working with clients on design projects. Not only is it beneficial for this role, but it’s an essential skill we will be teaching our students in this graphic design basics course
What you’ll love in Canva…
- Equity options in one of the fastest growing startups in the world
- Fitness membership
- In-house chef
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
At Canva, we’re on a mission to empower the world to design. We’re democratising design because we believe that everyone, everywhere, deserves the ability to express their ideas and unleash their creativity.
Inspired by a team of talented creatives, an amazing culture, and remarkable growth trajectory—we’re one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are hoping to do!
A crucial ingredient to empowering the world to design is education. One way we do this is through Design School education that aims to give people who don’t consider themselves ‘designers’ the creative confidence to achieve their goals. Another way we do this is through our Canva Foundation Education to Employment Project. This aims to equip youth living in poverty with basic graphic design skills to empower them to get a job in the digital economy and earn a living wage. This project is in very early stages, so there is amazing potential to shape the future impact and trajectory of this initiative and change the lives of individuals in this program.
If you’d love the opportunity to contribute to a product that is seen and used by over 45 million people across 190 different countries, and our newly formed Foundation, join us! We’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
About the Education to Employment Team
Our goal is to equip our students with effective and sustainable life skills to earn a living wage and make change in their community.
Our team is responsible for creating and delivering content and training materials for our program. This includes our technical skills training, soft skills training and learning exercises to embed skills and knowledge.